Topics
Published on August 20, 2015 by AskADev

Web Developer, Logan Thompson, reassures all non-computer science majors that with a little hard work and self-discipline, they too can find a career in development.

New to development or a pro who needs help? Just tweet your question to #AskADev. We’ll pick the best ones and have a developer answer them.

48 Comments on "Can I get into development without a Computer Science degree?"

Christopher Jr. Riley
Christopher Jr. Riley
1 year 10 months ago

I liked the answer and agreed with your points. As for where to learn, you had some excellent suggestions.For me: I have subscriptions for both Treehouse and Lynda.com (in some occasions, I learn from YouTube as well). I think that at some point, people should look into the WWDC (from Apple), Google I/O, and Microsoft Build conference videos. Those have a rich set of information for iOS, OS X, Android, Chrome OS, and Windows, and in most cases, give you sample code for you to use (especially for any newer features). These have helped me a lot with development.

simo laayouni
simo laayouni
1 year 10 months ago

Hey guys,so i was thinking in starting developping apps for ios but i'm completly lost i can't figure out where to start from or what languages should i use i tried goggling things but it just made more confused.i'm just a beginner btw.

The Physics Connection
The Physics Connection
1 year 11 months ago

Great Video, This is really helpful!If you like Physics or curiosity about the world in general I have a youtube channel called The Physics Connection. My latest video is on Schrodinger's Cat, Have a great week!!

Mike W
Mike W
1 year 11 months ago

Agreed on time management – Having excellent resources is also (imo) key to making it in web dev without a CS degree. Basically anything in tech, if you can do it and you can do it well, you can find a job. Source: I was a Communications (english/psychology) major and now work in web dev.

James Ramos
James Ramos
1 year 11 months ago

I am an IT graduate and so far my work experience is all about technical support. I want to try software development particularly web development. My question is what should I learn first? PHP or Javascript? I have no prior programming experience. Thanks!

Sam Deacon
Sam Deacon
1 year 7 months ago

old answer, did you make a start on web development?? check out quora for broad questions like this 🙂

Mollie Knute
Mollie Knute
1 year 11 months ago

Interesting video, although it does seem to concentrate more on front-end development (which naturally lends itself to portfolio pieces). I'm aiming for at a backend development career, so we'll see how far I can go without a degree 🙂

Rasmus Damgaard Nielsen
Rasmus Damgaard Nielsen
1 year 11 months ago

Wow, could be me talking there!

GamingBoss
GamingBoss
1 year 11 months ago

oh yeah. I was thinking about unsubscribing a week ago but decided to give you one more chance and if you don't upload good video in few weeks I will definitely unsubscribe BUT there it is – good video about topic many young people are looking for. Other older videos this year were completely useless for many people. Keep it up!

100percentGetDatCash