1228 Comments on "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH – Watch this if you want to be a web developer"

Heiki Raudsepp
Heiki Raudsepp
1 year 3 months ago

I've tackled HTML and CSS basics and now learning Javascript.
I'm looking around to pick back-end language and PHP sounds like good options because there are a lot of freelance jobs there. Now i'm not sure if I should got for node.js or PHP… Help!

Heiki Raudsepp
Heiki Raudsepp

Thanks.
Thought WordPress was big and awesome but your comment made me wonder… 🙂
Good to have advanced coders perspective on this.

1 year 3 months ago

PHP definitely has a much greater quantity of jobs. Node.js jobs will be (as a very broad-sweeping-statement) better quality jobs often times, in that PHP is much of the time used in smaller applications like wordpress, magento, etc, which are very non-standard and sometimes awful, whereas node.js tends to be used for web apps exclusively and will more align with other tech out there.

I'd learn both, but if I had to pick one, it would be node.js anyday.

I am Batman
I am Batman

заебись!

James Burgess
James Burgess
1 year 3 months ago

You are lit the reason I know how to code. I love you man xx

Thanks man!

Thomas Anderson
Thomas Anderson
1 year 3 months ago

What are the different values & personality types of a person that play a role in deciding where they end up as a developer?

1 year 3 months ago

Hmm, good question. As a very broad-sweeping rule, the more creative/visual/abstract you are, the more you'll like frontend, because what you're building is what customers touch/feel/experience.

The more technical, left-brained you are, the more you'll like backend, because it's about performance, security, data, etc.

But those aren't hard-fast rules. Any good frontend developer would probably make a good backend developer as well.

dean oh
dean oh
1 year 3 months ago

Where's the love for Visual Studio Code editor!?

Limpuls
Limpuls

For what?

jzm
jzm
1 year 3 months ago

+LearnCode.academy I find I use vscode a lot more than atom. They're both made using Electron, but atom is a bit of a dog in comparison. Not sure why it takes longer to load and is more unstable. This is on my mbp, and 2 Windows machines.

Abbas Monfared
Abbas Monfared
1 year 3 months ago

VScode is more of Typescript editor, I know Atom and Sublime have typescript plugins but VScode is really designed for that.
If you don't or not going to do Typescript don't bother with VScode, it's not so great with CSS/Sass, doesn't have enough plugins and just got tabs! in the latest version 🙂

1 year 3 months ago

It's growing!…just not on my top list yet haha. But it is a good editor. I have it on my machine, just don't find myself using it a lot compared to atom/sublime.

Abbas Monfared
Abbas Monfared
1 year 3 months ago

I know you're more of a react guy but Angular2 and specially Typescript are really awesome! (and yes it's very different from Angualr1 so it has a learning curve much like learning a new framework)
In fact, I won't do untyped javascript ever again unless I have to. It's so much more maintainable and easier to work with

1 year 3 months ago

That's nice to hear! The Angular2 changes all seem to be improvements (although admittedly, I have not worked on an Angular2 app of any large scale yet).

My advice for React is mostly that a great best-bet for people to learn as a level-up skill if they don't know any frameworks yet.

MOK
MOK
1 year 3 months ago

if i did not waste my time in college i should now know all of these technologies

1 year 3 months ago

so many of them have just become mainstream in the last 12-24mo…so don't beat yourself up too much

Kia Entertainment
Kia Entertainment
1 year 3 months ago

Unfortunately my parents think being a web developer is not a actual job which pisses me off 🙁

Kia Entertainment